The purpose of our organization is to serve, support, and advocate for all who care for and educate young children. VAAEYC:
- Serves as a community and connection point for early childhood educators. Here educators can find friends and colleagues that support them in their professional journey.
- Promotes the professional growth of persons working with young children by connecting educators and care givers to professional development opportunities.
- Supports grassroots advocacy to improve the availability and quality of early childhood education and to elevate the profession.
- Connects early childhood educators to valuable resources – from scholarship opportunities, to professional development, state agencies, and the Virginia Department of Education.
- Hosts an Annual Conference and Meeting to bring together educators from across the state to earn valuable CEU, network, collaborate, and grow personally and professionally.
Who is VAAEYC?
The Virginia Association for the Education of Young Children (VAAEYC) has its roots in the Virginia Council on Social Work. Efforts began in 1955 to bring together child care personnel and others interested in preschool children. In 1956, 60 individuals attended a Child Care Preschool Institute in Roanoke, VA. A year later, more than 200 advocates met, adopted a constitution, and selected the name — Virginia Association for Early Childhood Education.
In 1969, VAAEYC affiliated with the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). In 1972, vaaeyc affiliated with the Southern Early Childhood Association (SECA).